From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:21:46 -0400
With regard to Africanized bees in Tenessee, Jorge asked "How do commercial
beekeepers prepare/adapt?
Is there a natural limitation on how far north they will go?"

Well...we have had them annually brought north by commercial beekeepers for
at least the last five years, and perhaps earlier.  The first instance was
confirmed by our Inspection Service, based on an analysis of wing
structure.

Commercial beekeepers I know of cope with them by avoiding the suspected
hive for all but the absolutely essential tasks.  I don't know if anyone
has determined if they can overwinter.  I have had the occassional hive
that I suspect involved an Africanized queen, and I grit my teeth, find and
kill her.

In other countries commercial beekeepers successfully cope with Africanized
bees, so I suspect Americans will do so as well.  Moreover, Florida is
heavily Africanized and still has a large and active group of hobbyist
beekeepers.  There is hope for all of us.  But it is no fun to have dozens
attack 50-100 feet from a hive, and to have thousands stinging a bee suit
when it is necessary to go into the brood nest!

Lloyd