From:
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:25:11 -0700
John Skinner sent me a message asking about the need for pollen as a
protein source.  Certainly, protein is needed to sustain brood.  In
dearths, bees may cannabalize brood or use their own body materials to
keep some of the brood going.  I suspect also that the queen needs an
adequate pollen supply.  Again, the literature and practical experience
says that the quality of the diet is essential for producing viable brood.

We have done some experimentation along these lines.  I'm not sure that we
still have an artificial diet that is as complete as that provided by
nectar and fresh pollen.

Jerry Bromenshenk

P.S.  Moisture may play a big role in the tropics, but in our desert
areas, the moisture used by deep rooted plants may be from past
precipitation - and humidity is often very low.  In other words, I
moisture affects nectar availability, but only indirectly the queen.
Under very dry conditions and without access to water, dehydration of
brood can be a problem.