From:
Coleene Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:28:10 -0400
Hi all,
I just read the "Wintering" article by Allen Dick in the new issue of Bee
Culture and find myself in a Catch 22 situation with one of my hives.

The hive came through the winter weak but since has built up to a point
where they are making honey.  My concern the last time I checked them was
that they would become honey bound, an issue raised by Allen in the article.

Short of supering which I don't want to do this late in the season, my other
choice would be to pull full frames, but all I have to replace them with is
foundation.  If I feed heavy, will this be sufficient to keep the queen
going.  We are just coming out of Sweet Clover and Star Thistle and into
Goldenrod.  It has been a strange year for honey plants due to the weather
but the bees don't seem to mind.

Coleene