From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 22:31:49 +0000
Tom & Carol Elliott wrote:

> David Green wrote:
>
> In reference to;
>
> > << Is it O.K. to weekly, biweekly, or monthly to remove each frame from the
> > brood chambers to examine them?  Is it O.K. to rearrange the order of the
> > frames on a regular basis in the brood chambers? >>
>
> >    It's a good way to keep the bees demoralized and unproductive.
>
> I check my brood nest on pretty much a weekly basis.  They have yet to
> become unproductive, and they show no signs of "demoralization".  A
> commercial operation cannot pay the attention to a hive that a hobbiest
> can, but to make a statement like that above is irresponsible.  I
> routinely watch my queen lay eggs, watch foragers do their dances and
> see normal activity at all times.  There  "MAY"  be a scientificaly
> measurable reduction in productivity as a result of weekly inspections,
> but you could not prove it by my experience.

Hello Tom -

I think there may have been a misunderstanding as to what Dave was saying. I think his
comments were directed to the part about rearranging the order of the brood frames on a
regular basis for which I think he's right on. On the other hand, the other issue about how
often to inspect is definitely open for further discussion and I would favor more your
approach than just once a year or what ever it was that Dave said.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA