Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:47:01 -0600
> So I am trying to think of any way to help the most distressed hives.
> ...Most would probably shake the weak ones but I want to give it a try.

For us, the most reliable method has been to combine two or three weak hives
and remove the extra boxes once they amalgamate.

That means taking up front losses of over 50% in that sub-group of hives.
In our experience, most of the resuting hives survive and produce and/or can
be split the next year with the same management as the rest of the outfit.

The alternative is  to see similar or greater losses in hive numbers over
winter, but with dirty equipment to deal with and most survivors being
marginal, unproductive mangement headaches.

Your first loss is your best loss, since taking your losses now means
freedom from distractions and the ability to focus on your winners without
being distracted or depressed by hives which may never perform.

Personally, I wrap everything that looks as if it has a chance and combine
the rest until they have enough bees and feed -- plus some -- and look more
like the good ones.  We then have low losses, October through to May of 10
to 15%, which is excellent anywhere without checking queens or being really
fussy.

> Every one in the club does something different when it comes to wintering
> over and every winter is different when in Maine.

That is true almost everywhere.  There are some common themes, though, and
some things nobody with any long-time experience considers wise, so that can
be helpful.

Glad to hear that you are on top of your problems and confident that you
have the resources you need.