Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
At 6/8/00, Thomas Vic VM <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I'm told that spraying bees with water containing a surfactant or detergent
>can kill bees by a chilling effect. If this is true, could this explain the
>incident that Ian Farber recalled with Bravo 500 on a ginsing crop in BC?
>

I should probably just wait and let Nick Wallingford reply to this (as the report I am citing comes from his site), but in case he
doesn't, here are some excerpts from the report:

Effect of surfactants used with fungicides, herbicides and insecticides on honey bee mortality
Dr R.M. Goodwin, H.M. McBrydie - June 1999

Full report: http://nba.org.nz/surfactants/

I don't know what the brand names would be in North America...

"Surfactants are used with fungicides, herbicides and insecticide sprays to aid the penetration of the
active compound. They reduce the surface tension of the spray so the droplets, which form when
the spray leaves the nozzle, are reduced in size. As surfactants are not classed as pesticides they are
not required to be registered and carry honey bee warning labels, however they have been
implicated in bee deaths in the Bay of Plenty and Canterbury Region."

"The symptoms reported in the Bay of Plenty fit most closely with the probable effect of surfactants.
Soapy water can be used to kill bees, possibly because the soap allows the water to get through the
body hairs and to penetrate the trachea. Although surfactants are used in much lower concentration,
they may have similar effects. For example, the label claims for Citowett® reports that the product
will rapidly penetrate waxy, water repellent cuticles of insects."

"Four (Citowett®, Pulse®, Boost® and Ethokem®) of the 11 surfactants tested were toxic to bees
when applied. Only three of the surfactants (Pulse®, Boost® and Ethokem®) were toxic when
used at the recommended rate. Temperature, concentration and amount of surfactant applied all
affected mortality. Pulse® showed activity against honeybees at 10% of the recommended rate.
Ethokem® and Boost® also showed oral toxicity."

"The results of this study suggest that surfactants should go through the registration process and
carry warning labels were appropriate. It is also suggested that an education programme for spray
operators be undertaken. Effect of surfactants used with fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides on
honey bee mortality."

The report also includes photos, 1 pair of which provide a telling contrast.  Photo 6 shows a bee that has been sprayed just with
water: the bee has fine beads of moisture glistening all over it.  Photo 7 shows a bee sprayed with a surfactant: it looks like it
has just been fished out of a pool.

-Pav
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2