From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:44:03 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I believe you are quite correct Peter.  What I see is  chalkbrood and
twisted
larvae.   They may be starved and not EFB  infected.>>
    I had something similar three weeks after  gettiung my first nuc,and
panicked, thinking it was EFB. I eventually found  I saw the same every year, as
long as I had that strain. They expanded too fast,  and as soon as they
encountered a bit of bad weather during the buildup, brood  starved as they were
unable to maintain it all. It only affected the older  larvae, while chilled
brood, which I also saw one year, affected larvae of all  ages, and they all turned
black. The chilled larvae were soon thrown out of the  cells onto the hive
floor, and were either eaten or thrown out. They remained a  slightly yellowish
white.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK