From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:51:39 +1000
Ted Fischer wrote:
It's fun to watch them get this pollen,
>for they run as rapidly as they can up and down the pollen spike of
>the ragweed plant.  When they fall off, as often happens, one can
>watch them hovering in front of the spike, combing themselves and
>packing their pollen baskets.

The same thing happens with the male casuarina.  The tree is wind pollinated
but the bees collect the pollen, liberating substantial quantities in the
process, some of which gathers in yellow pools on the ground.   I do not
know whether this action is a help or a hindrance to pollination of the
female trees.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island