From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 08:53:40 -0400
From:                   Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>

> Lessons learned:  1)  Probably should have stopped after the first shake
> and hoped the rest of the swarm joined the bees that were already in the
> box. 2)  Should have sprayed the swarm on the tree heavily with water to
> preclude the swarm flying away and then tried to shake the rest of the
> swarm into the box.

   You can't shake or disturb bees too much in the daytime,
especially if it's a "nervous" swarm. Spraying them with water won't
stop them from flying. The activity and the dancing on the surface of
the swarm indicates the scouts already had a spot in mind, and were
enticing them to go. Your disturbance caused more enticement.

   It's more reliable to capture swarms in the evening, so that you
finish up about dark. This runs the risk of them leaving before dark
of course, but, if they have already decided on a place to go, you
can't even stop them by hiving them. I've taken nervous swarms home,
and have them leave at daybreak. Since the spot of their choice is
now unfindable, they would have to pitch again and repeat the search,
so they may be doomed. Remember that swarms are quite vulnerable. All
the resources they have are in their stomachs.

   Besides catching them at dusk (or before daylight, as I just did
this morning) give them a frame of open brood to increase the odds
that they will stay with you.  Last night I noticed another humungous
swarm high in the trees. Since we had an engagement last night I
could not return, but we were there before daylight this morning. The
tree was only about 3 inches in diameter, so it was an easy cut with
the chain saw, lay the tree down carefully, then set the hive with
one frame of open brood and 9 frames of foundation right against the
cluster. One I caught that way 3 days ago has already drawn most of
the foundation.

    If the weather is poor this next week, I'll go back and give them
a frame of honey. But this is the middle of our spring flow, so if
they have decent weather, they should be OK.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com