From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:04:50 +0200
How is the krebs cycle in insects? What are you thinking?

I am thinking on the winter of 1995 when up in the mountains of southern
Chile (Lonquimay) there was one of the hardest winter recorded ever. The
press named it: The White Hearthquake (Terremoto Blanco).

Animals were used to the bad weather coming from the north, so they hided in
the southern slopes. But this specific week, the snow came from the south
with -30ºC the following day. Everything was krisp white. The snow didn't
stop coming for a week or so. Up to two meters on certain areas.

Livestock, particularly horses, didn`t have anything to eat for 7 to 10
days.

I meet my wife there. she is a veterinarian doctor and was working for a
chilean simil to the peace corps (servicio pais). I helped her to give to
the local inhabitants of Lonquimay the Ministry of Agriculture's help: bales
of grass, salts.

While driving in a Unimog who-knows-where, we find a group of four lost
horses. We manage to catch them and they smell to acetone. They were
completely drank.

I said loud, how come they find alcohol to drink? and my wife explained me
the krebs cycle and how when starving you end up eating your fats for fuel,
having as a by product this acetone. (Well, that is what I remember. I could
be wrong.)

After an inspection, she decided that there was not much to do with those
horses. We left them there. In the middle of nowhere.

That is why I wonder, does the krebs cycle apply to insects? Will the bees
get drunk when malnurish and then get lost?

I wonder if bees use they wing muscle in the same way when flying and when
heating?

I also wonder if the low sun we have recorded since 2006 had anything to do
with lower pollen quality and or nectar production in plants.

I wonder so many things, but PeterB don't like it and the day have only 24
hours ... ;)

----------------
Maybe you should ask Dr Suarez?

Hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase, an enzyme involved in fatty acid oxidation
(Crabtree and Newsholme, 1975[image:
Go]<http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/18/3573?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=mitochondrial&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=30&resourcetype=HWFIG#REF9>),
was not detectable in thoracic extracts of any species. Homogenates prepared
for measurement of *mitochondrial* O2 consumption displayed the capacity to
oxidize pyruvate, but not palmitoyl L-carnitine (Fig.
1<http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/18/3573?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=mitochondrial&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=30&resourcetype=HWFIG#FIG1>
). Proline was included in assays when testing for pyruvate or
palmitoyl L-carnitine
oxidation, based on the results of preliminary studies (R. K. Suarez,
unpublished observations) with mitochondria isolated from honeybee flight
muscles. These revealed that, although pyruvate or proline alone are not
oxidized at significant rates, pyruvate plus proline support high rates of
coupled, state 3 (i.e. ADP-stimulated) respiration. Such results are
interpreted in terms of proline having an anaplerotic role (i.e. the
augmentation of Krebs cycle intermediates) required for high rates of Krebs
cycle activity (Sacktor and Childress, 1967[image:
Go]<http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/18/3573?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=mitochondrial&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=30&resourcetype=HWFIG#REF20>).
Malate, however, is unable to serve such a role (R. K. Suarez, unpublished
observations), in contrast with mitochondria isolated from locust flight
muscles (Suarez and Moyes, 1992[image:
Go]<http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/18/3573?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=mitochondrial&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=30&resourcetype=HWFIG#REF25>),
and so was not used in the studies reported here. The rates measured in 21
individuals of eight species (*Eg. sappharina, Eg. imperialis, Ef.
chrysopyga, Ef.* *schmidtiana, El. bombiformis, El. nigrita, El. cingulata,
El. meriana*) were mass-independent and averaged 22.54±5.02 µmol O2
g-1thorax min
-1 (means ± S.D.).

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/208/18/3573?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=mitochondrial&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=30&resourcetype=HWFIG

or go back to basic: