Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:47:40 -0500
Clear DayFor those of you who care but don't know, my personal background includes the
leadership of a bee breeding program in Florida for Dadant and Sons
and York Bee Company. Called Genetic Systems we mass produced
instrumentally
inseminated queen bees for production colonies. It was a noble effort, but we
closed the business in 1980 because we proved we could not compete with
mother nature. The genetic stock went to Hybrid Bees, and included the
Starline and Midnite programs.

from Bee-L Archives

From what I hear about drones being "dry", artificial insemination may be the way to get GOOD
queens. A person told me he does do this for breeder queens and has found a large number of drones that did not have any seamen. I know this will send the price higher, but I think it will prove worthwhile.

Lionel Evans