From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:15:45 -0700
Jerry Bromenshenk writes:
However, when feral colonies were common - and we see a bit of resurgence
amongst the feral colonies - if they weaken or die out from Foul Brood, your
bees will likely get it via robbing.

Reply:
All this means to me is that they are not true feral, but recently absconded colones from domestic bees kept by beekeepers themselves trying to get back to a healthy world. Unfortunately though, in my experience only 50% make it first year, and then second year they are still fighting getting back in harmony with Nature so many times another 50% is lost.......but by third year things seem to stabilize.

So when you see and get ferals you have to note the size of the bees and see what stage they are at for dealing with as pertaings to mites and secondary diseases.. But still free bees are free bees and also a lot more healthier then most/many LC hives I see and look at for others in todays world, sadly. You just keep them regressing down and feeding in the healthy new combs to make the change over farter for them,and here putting right on HSC really helps, or any drawn out SC combs you have.

Dee