From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 03:05:02 -0700
>Thanks Randy.  I appreciate the fact that you spell out your methods so
> that we can either accept or debate them.

Absolutely!  I'm dismayed by many of today's papers in which the statistics
are so convoluted that few can grasp how the researchers tweaked to data to
obtain "statistical significance."  In my own research, if clear results
don't jump out at you from a simple graph of the data, then I'm not much
convinced that the finding has much relevance to practical beekeeping.

> >Now that the CCD illusion has been milked dry,

Was hardly an illusion.  I've got plenty of photographs of the progress of
sudden colony collapse in multiple hives.  But I do agree with you on
funding issues, although I cannot really criticize researchers for wording
funding proposals in ways that are more likely to get monetary support.  In
the case of CCD, we learned a great amount about bee biology and immune
response issues, and to me, I learned important practical applications
(such as I presented at the Florida Bee College yesterday).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA