From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:31:58 -0300
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When shaking bees, one needs to shake 2-3 frames to get a pound of bees.
>  At ~3500 per pound, that's about 1400 per frame.  So an 8-frame colony
> would have in the ballpark of 12,000 bees.  Their number seems about right!

I guess that the discrepancy is the temperature difference between
California and PEI.  We agree on the number of bees per pound.  But dump a
pound of bees into a hive in PEI in April and it is not going to cover the
same 2-3 frames they shook off.  I have a lot of experience installing 1.5
kg (3.3) pound packages here in April (in previous decades when April was
colder), and usually they cover no more than five frames, less if it is
colder.  Could be that you are shaking them from large warm colonies and
they are going into small colonies with less heating ability.
Stan