From:
"S. R. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:49:06 -0500
Rex Boys wrote:

>They are getting carried away and losing sight of the prime =
>purpose which is to combat swarming.  It seems to me that because the =
>equipment is capable of it, they want to do a complete spectrum analysis =
>on every visit, repeating what Eddie Woods did 50 years ago.

Swarm prevention would still be the primary purpose here.  I starting thinking laptop with SA software because I really don't know if or when I'll be able to buy a modern version of the apidictor.   With older-but-still-capable laptops becoming cheaper and cheaper, a laptop with SA may be the thing for somebody willing to haul the thing out to the field.  Yeah, I suppose I got a little carried away--living in the Silicon Forest* will do that you to a person.

> How long before the keyboard is decorated with propolis?

Propolis on the keyboard wouldn't be so bad and certainly wouldn't be harmful.  It might even acquire a certain aesthetic pleasantness about it.  Sort of like an old pickup truck looks better with a fresh coat of mud.  Well...it looks good to me anyway.

>Steve's alternative is to leave the lap-top in his vehicle and =
>communicate with it by radio link.  <snip>
>Could the computer give =
>him answers without somebody in the cab to press the buttons?

Given enough software engineering, it could be voice activated from your voice to the microphone, and the results could be transmitted back to your ear-piece in voice form.   However, at this point, I'm way beyond wishful thinking. :)

>Good Luck.  Rex Boys

Peace.  S. R. Jones

*For those interested:
  Many people refer to the suburbs primarily west of Portland Oregon as the Silicon Forest.  Like the Silicon Valley (San Jose, CA) there is a high concentration of high-tech industries in the area.

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com