From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:17:42 -0800
Randy,
Haven't inserted frames of 5.0mm back into a 4.9mm colony,
but in playing around due to jiving by a Mr Allen Dick, not
that he hasn't visited in past, I did take 5.0mm foundation
we still had, also whole culled supers he had seen we had
waiting for melting from the 5.0 -5.1 era, and larger 5.4mm
and put them back on and it gottem again, after restarting
with fresh caught big swarms.And yes Allen, before you ask,
I did check the combs first and used only the ones from
honey supers you saw stacked we were melting thru I
considered clean. Yet the 4.9mm ones were not effected.

Also in the field think I have said this, our level went
down with usage of 4.9mm sizing to what I call natural
occurring levels for foul of about 2-3 a year seen now, and
then if pulled when seen with 6 cells or more to a frame,
no big problem, and I am talking 2-3 colonies for total on
average year in and year out for all we keep. Less then 6
cells I don't worry about, never have and never will for
the bees take care of it fine.

But rationalize the difference being the change in foraging
with smaller size in getting more variance in propolis
collected more to the smaller herbal plants which to me is
more stronger for what the bees need for sterilization of
broodnest, besides more variety in pollen/honey etc as all
things must be considered.

Regards,

Dee p.s. good knowing you have a contractors background.
Mechanics too?

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html