From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:15:05 -0400
Allen writes:
> to get the bees to notice an open drum of feed

Reminds me of the time we were mixing up feed to do a mass feeding in August. The boss told us to add an ounce of Anise (licorice) extract to each drum. We were then going to put it into top feeders and the idea was to get the bees to "notice" it and carry it down quickly.

While we were doing this, there were some local guys doing construction on the building. They said: "Are you nuts? Don't you know what you are doing?" "What?" I said. Evidently some hunters (I am not a hunter) use licorice scent to attract bears.

All I know is that the first time I ever used thymol against mites was also the first time I was hit by a bear. The bear did a lot more damage to the bees than the mites did.

PLB