From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:30:23 -0400
On 28-Aug-11, at 11:56 PM, allen wrote:

> My hive scale with four splits sitting on a pallet on it gained 26
> pounds between 10:15 Am and 7:15 PM.
>
> That is a gain of over six pounds a hive, and is unusual.

Hi Allen and all

What plants are the bees foraging?  Yesterday I removed some supers
from my scale hive at noon.  When checked at dusk(8:30 PM) the hive
had gained 9 pounds.  Goldenrod is starting to bloom here but only
the later varieties seem to produce a surplus most years.  I have
many foragers arriving home with orange pollen but goldenrod is
usually yellow so don't know what plants they are visiting.  My
highest daily gains occurred in September 2004 during the goldenrod
flow when my two scale hives increased over 15 pounds per day each
for 2 weeks with several days over 20 pounds and one at 27 pounds.
Tibor Szabo told me that his scale hive registered over 20 pounds
daily in early May 2010 when dogwood was in bloom.  The Peace River
area must get fantastic daily gains.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada