From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2016 08:41:17 -0500
In the recent thread  we discussed our human interference and its effects on the bees developing gentic restiance/tolerance.   I have bee wracking my brain for an example,  we just frankly as I see it don't have a lot of examples of dual path of human interference/vs natural selection.

Finally I remembered one that to me at least is a very good analogy.   South Africa and the Tsetse fly.  The fly itself is just like Varro on humans.  In itself the damage is tiny,  but it vectors a virus known as sleeping sickness.
Around 1900 ( didn't check dates)  once again another bought of sleeping sickness was killing thousands.  Experts went in and finally got the tribes that were dying to move out of the areas inhabited by the fly.  (turns out the fly's main host is cape buffalo)  These areas  before that were largely uninhabited because frankly,  you died.   In the centuries before that the humans never did develop a restiance to the sleeping sickness,  they died.
Now with the use of pesticides to control fly levels  those areas are inhabited.  Sleeping sickness is still a problem,  but with human interference those are manageable situations.

http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/CSR_ISR_2000_1tryps/en/

seems to me to be extremely similar to what Varro destructor is doing to our bees.  Only issues is Varro transmits hive to hive instead of regional.

Charles