From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:12:59 -0400
>There was a queen cell which I had missed in each case.
>I knocked off the queen cell and released each queen directly into the  hive.
>Would you have done the same????????

Not exactly. I don't think there's much point to releasing the attendants,
especially when introducing to a nuc. Nucs are much more tolerant of change,
especially if they have been depleted of older bees, which is often the case.

The queen cells could have been started in the interval, so don't chastise
yourself for missing them. Again, it probably doesn't matter much. I would
expect them to abort the cells once they get the laying queen out.

But, yes, if the queen has been caged in a hive for 5 days or so, it is
probably the best bet to release her then and there. They really don't have
any good options BUT to accept her, especially if you remove all the Q-cells.

pb