From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 22:00:42 -0500
>Good point.  Is everyone aware of all the risks to beekeepers out there?

Been seeing more rattlers lately.  Copperheads
are common here also, -copperheads are
more prone to strike quickly, -they give
no warnings, -for this reason, they are more
feared by loggers and woodsmen.  Blacksnakes
get caught and thrown in my hive equipment
storage shed, -never harm a black snake.

I try and set hive blocks with the holes
horizontal to reduce harborage for
critters and to increase visibility under
the hive.  Grass is cut short and weed
barrier under each hive.  This also
reduces harborage for mice which
are favorite prey of venomous snakes.
Grass cut short several yards around
the hives gives owls and hawks a
better chance of spotting mice
running to and from the hives.

If I die from a critter hidden under
a hive, it will probably be from a heart
attack when a unnoticed rabbit darts
out from underneath.

Best Wishes
j. Waggle