From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:38:08 -0400
I personally have no doubt that CCD is is a 'real thing', but I know for
certain that the reported incidents are greatly exaggerated.  That is to say
that the number of hives lost following an observation of lots of brood, a
laying queen, and almost no nurse or worker bees is far lower than the
numbers being reported.  I recently saw one report of 400 hives lost to CCD
where the 'evidence' was 'empty hives', no brood and no queen and without
hive moth or SHB damage.  Clearly not the symptoms agreed as evidence of
CCD.

Nonetheless, I think the differences reported between Canada and the US are
significant and IMHO speak loudly for CCD being stress related.

I just spent some time in Canada.  I was surprised to see petrol at $US 1 a
liter.  We are mightly complaining about prices of $US .70 a liter.  43%
higher in Canada!  What would our pollination industry look like with petrol
prices 43% higher?  Might it again be economical for farmers to again 'keep
their own bees', or lease local bees because the long-distance guys can't
compete due to petrol prices?

One of the largest pollinators on the East Coast, with 8,000 hives and
full-blown CCD, once said at a meeting that his hives *averaged* 20 moves a
year and *eight queens each (a year)*.  If that is not extreme stress, what
is?  (This is not beekeeping...but I don't know what else to call it.)

So, the real culprit in CCD is unreasonably low oil prices...AKA, Saudi
Arabia and the US political system.  Want to bet on whether we will ever see
a research paper with such a conclusion?

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.