From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:11:51 -0500
All comb honey MUST be frozen asap after taking it off the hive.  Freezing
kills wax moth eggs and larvae as well as SHB.

Like Bob Harrison I freeze it in full supers...but I have the space.  One
can also freeze frames, and even cut and drained sections.  It does not
matter.  Regardless, when freezing put it inside a plastic bag.

The advantage of freezing full supers is that after 24 hours of being at 0
degrees, the supers can be removed from the freezer, and kept inside the bag
for several days or a few weeks until one can find the time to process them.
If freezing is delayed until the comb is cut, it must be cut within 3 days.
Delay is guaranteed (sooner or later) to result in the comb being ruined by
wax moth tracks.

When the honey, inside the bag, is removed from the freezer it will take
18-24 hours to thaw.  Until it does, moisture in the air will condense on
the bag!  After it is thawed, no more moisture will condense so it is safe
to take it out of the bag.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com