From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:16:51 -0400
More fuzzy logic from the news. Now we are being told that the
movement of bees from region to region disrupts their natural cycle.
Never mind that the movement of bees from region to region has been
going on for centuries. Never mind that bees in Mediterranean climates
have no trouble realizing it is spring in January, when the honey and
pollen begins to flow, and the northern bees realize it *isn't* spring
in April, when it's snowing and 30F. The first quote is from a "news"
website, so it's no surprise they don't get it right; but the second
one is from an entomologist -- who ought to know better.

> In the case of California's almonds, the largest managed pollination event in the world, the growing season occurs in February, well before local hives have suitably increased their populations to handle the pollination load. As a result, the region is increasingly dependent on the importation of hives from warmer climates. The same goes for apple crops in New York, Washington and Michigan, as well as blueberries in Maine. It's entirely possible that the honeybees may have already been stretched to the breaking point, as far as environmental and chemical stressors are concerned. In fact, it's safe to say that the nation's honeybees, already a tireless lot, are totally exhausted from work.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/53491/

* * *

www.texarkanagazette.com

--