Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:22:58 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Hello Tom and All
Tom wrote:
I was wondering are American beekeepers who have to contend with the Small Hive Beetle, stuck with Coumaphos treatments, or is there an IPM approach available for this pest?
Coumaphos has helped but not the  solution.  
 Posted on the Florida Beekeepers list are many IPM methods  beekeepers are trying. 

One IPM method talked about which seems to help the most is to close the lower entrance and use a  entrance made from a piece of PVC pipe of  around one  to one  and a half inches. 
 It seems the small hive beetle is reluctant  to enter  such a small opening guarded by guard bees. Most beekeepers I talked to   in the south open the entrance back up when the honey flow starts and reduce when the flow is over. 
Small hive beetle has  been documented in 25 U.S. states now by the USDA and is suspected in many others.
 Michael Brown our state bee inspector has just sent of another sample of beetles found in another part of Missouri for testing. All Missouri small hive beetle findings have been on the  East Side of the state..
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. I miss my friends on your Irish beekeeping list Tom!  Sadly I am working long days getting ready for the coming year and Apple pollination in a few weeks.  Bee-L has been the only list I have had time to do.  I still read the Florida list in digest form but do not respond although Doc posts my posts at times like he does your posts Tom.  
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2