From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:05:31 -0400
Your post re. forage capacity caught my eye. I'm certainly interested in knowing more about methodologies related to the assessment of forage capacity.  Our ecosystem here in Newfoundland (Canada) and floral species are somewhat like the NE U.S. with  alder, pussy willow, maple, dandelion, clover, fireweed and goldenrod our main floral species. Our beekeeping association has identified forage capacity as a research priority.  (NL means Newfoundland and Labrador).

Research needed

Beekeepers in NL need forage-related research conducted that will address three aspects of forage – what type of forage, where it is found, and when it can be accessed by honey bees. Research data on honey bee forage could assist beekeepers in planning apiary locations, lobbying governments to enhance forage in some areas, monitoring of forage capacity in some regions, etc. (see Decourtye, et al., 2010; Goulson, et al., 2015).

What — the forage species in the province that can be accessed by honey bees. We need a proper inventory of our bee forage species.  This topic also includes the nutritional quality and quantity of this forage, and the carrying capacity of an available forage area (i.e., the number of colonies it will support) (see Girard, et al., 2012).

Where — the geographic location of these forage species (concentrations in particular areas). Priorities are to (a) help beekeepers find suitable apiary locations, and (b) manage apiary placement in potentially congested areas such as the Northeast Avalon. NLBKA may wish to make recommendations to various municipalities, developers, and the provincial Department of Highways re. lawn mowing schedules, re-vegetation strategies along roadsides, etc. so as to optimize forage in certain locations.

When — the phenology of these forage species (i.e., the time of the year when they produce pollen and nectar).

Agricultural lands and pollination

Research related to improving pollinator habitat around agricultural lands could be of benefit to honey bees and native pollinators (see Blaauw and Isaacs, 2014; Carvell, et al., 2006; Garibaldi, et al., 2014; Goulson, et al., 2015; Kennedy, et al., 2013; Morandin, et al., 2007; Pywell, et al., 2006; Pywell, et al., 2005; Rundlöf, et al., 2008; Wratten, et al., 2012). Research results could have positive policy implications for the development and management of agricultural lands in NL and be of interest to the NL Horticultural Council and other members of the NL Federation of Agriculture particularly those who produce crops dependent upon insect pollination.