From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:52:57 -0400
Peter said "Most in the
UK would not use brood comb for extrcated honey production."

Actually, the same is true in the US.  Only in very unusual instances would
brood comb be used to produce extracted honey.  But the real question
is...do 'most' beekeepers use queen excluders when they are producing honey
for extraction?

In my 'educated' opinion, most commercial beekeepers in the US use excluders
when producing honey for extraction, but some commercial beekeepers do not.
Likewise, 'most' hobbyists in the US do not use extractors when producing
honey for extraction but instead count on the flow being strong enough to
force the queen down so that their extraction supers do not contain brood.

In these regards I think we may be different from the UK where conditions
are such that it may be almost impossible to avoid brood in supers unless
extractors are used.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear