From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:27:49 -0500
  Yes, I have. Maybe not to the extent he claims. Walt's setup in
medium, deep, medium. He claims the bottom box is used for pollen
storage. I've seen the same with some colonies, but not all.

More in recent years. That brings up something that has been confounding
me lately. Pollen bound colonies. Never used to see such a thing. Combs
without brood or honey were empty. Now it seems, if a colony slows brood
production, supercedes, etc, the combs are packed with pollen. I never
noticed this before pms came on the scene. Why would a colony struggling
to survive...one that needs more brood,  pack the broodnest with so full
of pollen that the queen has virtually no cells to lay in? Other
beekeepers I know have seen the same in the last 5 years or so.

I was told by someone who is way more in touch than I that this may be
from selection for pollen hoarding. Seems a pollen hoarding strain was
developed on the west coast...I think he said at either Davis or
Washington, and released in to the breeding stocks of the US. True? I
wish they'd take it back then. I don't need any more pollen in my
broodnests.