From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:59:26 -0500
  Ari asked "Ha anyone in list observed Africanized hive in US that is not
much more
aggressive than normal hives ?"

We are in upstate NY, where AHB are not expected to be able to maintain
their present genetic makeup.  However, every summer we experience numerous
AHB hives that are brought to us from Florida.

Some, which I have not personally observed, will attack a truck as it enters
a yard.  Beekeepers have told me that they quickly learn where these hives
are and avoid them.  I have the impression that they do not kill them, but
hope that they will supercede before they are taken to Florida for another
winter.

I have had a single experience with a hive that attacked from 50 meters
away.  There were several hundred bees attacking berry pickers without
provocation.  This behavior was reported to bee inspectors who had samples
tested and they were confirmed as AHB, and the hive was destroyed.  Of
interest, the beekeeper had several more hives with equally agressive
behavior (but no attacks on berry pickers) and the inspectors did not ask
that they be destroyed.  I am not aware of whether the inspectors were aware
of these hives, or whether they asked to inspect all this beekeeper's hives
(so they would have discovered more AHB).

Imagine if inspectors in Florida, Arizona, California, New Mexico, etc.
considered it their duty to destroy all AHB hives.  Beekeeping would cease
to exist in most of those states and growers and the public would
be outraged.  Yet, in the interest of full employment of inspectors, in NYS
AHB hives are to be destroyed!

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear