From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:38:36 -0500
> Most beeks here agree with you Pete.  Not me though.

Personally, I have no qualms about taking the lids off hives in winter. I just question the realism of doing this to hundreds of hives in this region (Penn, NY, Mass, etc). Many yards would be inaccessible, and many hives would be tightly wrapped or packed.

Then there is the question of what to do. I don't think it's at all wise to feed hives too early, as it may stimulate them to brood up too early. There is a lot to be said for letting them go at their own pace.

Preventing starvation is a different natter, but the weight of the hives can be assessed without opening them up. Ideally, one would have saved frames of honey, or if there are weak or failed hives, one can steal from them.

Anyway, it's still early to say how bees fared winter up this way, since winter has two more months to go (we can get heavy snows in April)

PLB