From:
Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 11:08:49 -0600
Ray Lackey insightfully writes:

> In the preservation of bottom board discussion, one comment was to
> use plywood strips for the spacer on top of plywood instead of the
> common form of double sided bottom board with the offset rabbit.
> My question is relative to the size of the space.  The double sided
> bottom board makers claim the two spaces as an advantage although
> it is a by product of the production method.  They say to use the
> 3/4 inch space in the summer for better ventilation and the 3/8
> inch space in winter.

All those who want to do this to 400 Hives pls join me fall and spring in
the bee yard...  Ah Ha!  No takers...

 Is there any scientific evidence showing
> that the 3/4 inch space is needed?  The 3/8 inch blocks mice and
> is a fairly large area ( 15 X 3/8 ~= 5 square inches).  As long
> as the paradigm is being changed, lets question the assumptions
> of the old one.

Well, I think that the 3/8 inch opening might be inadequate were no other
ventalation availible during the summer, but I have hive lids with a
built in center-to-front ventalation opening, so no problems here.  Most
beehives have some ventalation through cracks or holes in supers as well...

> The 3/4 inch space may just be a high barrier for the incoming bees
> as they will build little wax and propolis hills to aid the climb.

Which you then have to scrap off...  Why is the orthodox beespace policy
which drives the design of the rest of the hive suddenly abandoned at the
bottom board?

> Slatted racks - those units placed over the bottom board to stop
> drafts.  They have sideways slats (orthogonal to the frame lines)
> to block air currents and openings between, concentrated toward the
> rear of the hive.

I think their purpose is to _allow_ drafts.  These slotted racks allow a
deep space under the bottom super, the racks prevent the bees from
extending the combs down into that space.  This means there will be
plenty of airflow through the hive.  I have noticed a strong correlation
between swarming and the slatted bottoms, the deeper space strongly
reduces swarming behaviour (in my own observations).

> While we are challenging paradigms, The inner cover with the center
> hand size punchout.  Is this a good place for the opening?

The center hole thus doubles as a good feeder cover.  Actually I put my
hole off center (4" from front and side) so that by turning the board I
can center the spring feed over the cluser (weak hives never cluster in
the center, and strong ones don't care where the feed is).

 In
> winter when air circulation is somewhat beneficial and one method of
> providing the ventilation is to prop the outer cover up on one end
> by 1/4 inch is it good to have this opening directly over the cluster?
> Wouldn't circulation be better provided by side or corner holes.  Is
> this location and shape a dinosaur from the spring-loaded bee escape
> used for clearing supers?

Apart from the feed pail issues, I think there  may be local variation in
the answer to this qustion.  In my own case, the winter cluster is so
tight that it doesn't much matter where the hole is, plus being right
over the cluster keeps it free from condensation since it is warmer.

I hope this satiates inquiring minds...

--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           | If I must be a fool, as all those who reason