From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:32:12 -0500
Beekeepers do not have a problem with imidacloprid used for termites or
roaches in Florida. I was the first to report in ABJ that most (if not all)
above ground treated lumber contained imidacloprid and two fungicides. Still
I have seen articles in bee magazines using such wood in contact with the
bees and equipment for sale in bee catalogs using imidacloprid treated
lumber.  Water splashing on such equipment causes imidacloprid to leach out
killing bees.
However I do not have a serious issue with the above ground imidacloprid
treated lumber as long as all U.S. beekeepers learn what is in the lumber
they are using in and around their bee hives.
The first time I saw the light colored IMD treated lumber was at the bee
farm of a commercial beekeeper in Florida. The beekeeper asked me to find
out what the chemical was. After a few calls ( and hang ups and waiting on
hold for a very long time) to the plant in Georgia I discovered the new
product was imidacloprid and two fungicides. When on a story I am like a
blood hound!
Informed is the key to survival in commercial beekeeping today. I am not a
clone for Rachael Carson and not really a tree hugger and my main reason for
posting is to inform beekeepers. Most listen as they know I am not selling
anything! We still have freedom of speech in the U.S. and unlike others I am
not afraid to share what I have learned about what really goes on in the
U.S. while Americans are too busy to mind the store.
bob