From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:27:26 -0800
> I have a great

> deal of skepticism that temp is the mechanism
> controlling the level of food consumption during
> winter.

Joe, the studies that I've seen support the relationship between temperature
and food consumption (and respiration rate).  But it is not a simple linear
function.  At temps above or below 10C, rates generally go up.  But as the
cluster gets very tight at lower temperatures, bees my drop into a
hypoxia-induced ultralow metabolism, and honey consumption may drop again.

>I'm assuming the major spikes in consumption are
> the result of the cluster taking advantage of a
> warm spike to reposition,

The above phenomenon has been observed by several researchers.  The
repositioning may be temporary for a few hours.  Note in Allen's graph the
spikes in consumption on Dec 17 and Jan 8, when temperature spiked up.
However, Dec 11 is opposite the trend!

Allen, I'm greatly appreciating this interesting real-time data!

Randy Oliver