From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:25:57 -0500
Scott said "So, again I ask, If there is no difference in the health of the
honey
bee colony; and it is easier and cheaper for the beekeeper - why
shouldn't we be feeding HFCS 55 as the preferred source of winter feed?"

Unfortunately, I have arrived at the life stage where I have lost the
sources for matters I 'learned' long ago.  Such matters include 'facts' that
HFCS 55 is far superior as a honey bee feed than honey, and that HFCS 55 and
sugar syrup are about nutritionally equal.  Honey is deficient, in
comparison, because it contains natural indigestibles (termed 'ash') which
can lead to diarrhea or worse because of the long periods when bees may not
be able to take a cleansing flight.

HOWEVER, world economies and politics enter into the equations when
considering the relative costs.  Here in the US we have the world's most
advanced methods of producing HFCS, and the world's least expensive raw
material (corn).  Given huge demand as a food ingredient from products as
diverse as ice cream, animal feed, ketchup, cereal, soft drinks, beer,
canned tomatoes, etc. the prices of HFCS are the lowest in the world.

In a 'perfect' world, low, low prices on HFCS would have long ago driven the
cane and beet sugar producers out of the US market.  However, they are
concentrated in politically strong states such as Florida, Louisiana,
Hawaii, etc. so we do what is normal...we make Americans pay far above world
market prices for sugar.  So in the US it is just about unheard of for
commercial beekeepers to feed sugar syrup.

Canada, on the other hand, has no cane sugar producers to protect and few
beet sugar producers.  Therefore, in Canada sugar sells for just about the
same price per pound as HFCS...on the basis of equivalent solids in the
liquid.  Many Canadian beekeepers, therefore, can indulge their whims and
feed sugar syrup rather than corn syrup.

Further, in the more 'perfect' Canadian market, there are often
imperfections in the marketplace and from time to time either HFCS or sugar
syrup will be priced lower for a few days/weeks.  Then the Canadians will
switch.  In fact, the jumbo honey coops in Canada play an active role in
keeping the markets 'perfected' as that is of great help to their
producers...commercial beekeepers.

BTW, HFCS 45 is  nothing but a type that has fewer solids than HFCS 55.
Therefore it is always less expensive.  However, the bees need to spend more
energy to convert HFCS 45 to a usable form than the energy needed for HFCS
55, so on an equivilent energy basis, HFCS 55 usually (always?) works out to
be a less expensive feed.

The biggest problem with using HFCS 55 is that it most often in not
available in size containers that hobbyists can use.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb
Honey Equipment, Sundance Pollen Traps