From:
Alden Leatherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 11:26:51 -0400
Greetings to all:

I just extracted about 230 pounds of honey from my
two hives on Saturday, Aug. 30.  The honey seems
very thin and I am afraid it is of too high of a
moisture content.  I extracted 2 supers of
uncapped honey but kept it separate from the rest.
The rest was at least 95 percent capped.  I live
in south central Michigan, near Lansing.

Why and how does this happen?  I thought that with
capped honey it was safe to assume it is "ripe".
Is there some way to control for this?  Where can
I puchase a hydrometer for measuring moisture
content?  Anyone else having this problem?  At the
moment I am thinking I may need to sell to a large
scale operation who could mix my honey with lower
moisture honey.

Thanks for any input.  I don't want this to happen
again and I need to deal with what I have now.  It
tastes GREAT.

Alden Leatherman