From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 18:52:42 -0500
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> I have recently come across a booklet entitled 'A Simple Two Queen System'
> by Ron Brown.
> This beekeeping management system seems to offer many benefits to someone
> like myself. These benefits listed by Ron Brown are as follows:
>
>     1. More Honey from less equipment.
>     2. Automatic re queening every year.
>     3. Control of Swarming
>     4. Stronger Healthier Colonies.
>     5. Best Preparation for Heather
>     6. option of Increasing Stocks.
>
> I was wondering if any expreienced beekeeper had any experience of this system,
> as certainly on reading the booklet it seems to be all advantages. Now I
> know, that especially in beekeeping, there are always trade offs and the
> balance of advantage is what is sought.

Yes, for sure there are trade offs.  I am not familiar with this
particular two queen system, but have used systems based on that found
in "The Hive and the Honey Bee" off and on for many years.

1. There is certainly more honey, both a blessing and a curse, because
it involves frequent extractings or piling many more supers on (my
practice).  In either case there is a lot more work involved, but the
extra honey is really the reason for doing it in the first place, isn't
it?

2. This generally is true, but not always.  Usually the new queen takes
over when the two half-colonies are united, but sometimes if she is not
up to the challenge of a huge colony swarming will occur.  This doesn't
happen often, but when it does you will have massive swarms, and the
whole purpose of the two-queen system will be thwarted.

3.  See above!

4. Yes, this is generally true, except for 2. above.

5.  I don't know about this, having no experience with heather.

6. This is a good point.  The two half-colonies before union may simply
be separated to make two colonies rather than one two queen colony, if
you need the extra colony for some reason.  It is like having a ready
made split on hand.  This is a pure advantage.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA