From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:59:21 -0700

> >I will reply to your post on the list in order to clear up anyone else's
> confusion, as you are mixing up two different studies.

Hi Stan,

I'm  squeezing in email during moments between moving bees--pretty busy in
Calif this time of year.  Also typing slowly due to injured finger.

I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this.  I've corresponded with Dr.
Richard Rogers, who is currently preparing the paper on the NB study.  I
have not spoken with Dr. Kemp (can you please send me his contact info off
list?).

Can you please tell me the name of the study that you are referring to, and
the dates of the sampling, and the funding agency, and I will try to resolve
your questions as an impartial third party.

>But one thing that I will say is that the researchers never found what I
considered to be a reasonable explanation for the hives with
disappearing bees.

Join the club, Stan!  I've just had the field force disappear from an almond
orchard at the end of bloom (the first half of the colonies that I moved out
a week earlier are busting at the seams).  The grower and I are
investigating.  Beekeepers everywhere have experienced unexplained colony
losses since time immemorial.  Don't hold your breath that any researcher
will necessarily be able to explain yours, although poor nutrition, nosema,
and viruses are the usual suspects.

Stan, as you say, I'm coming into this late in the game.  If there is
important data out there that is being suppressed, I would like to find
out.  I am willing to see if I can help you to resolve your questions.  So
please send me the details--off list is fine.  I will report the results to
the List.

By the way, where does your provincial apiculturist enter into this?
Shouldn't he be able to resolve this to your satisfaction?

Randy Oliver