Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:05:10 -0400
>I thought this was of interest. This list is considered "standard". Sort of looks like they fed sugar & chems throughout the honey season ... ?

I wonder how many who commented actually bothered to read the study and think about it.

As it happens there is a lot more of interest than this minor ambiguity study in the write-up, including a documenting of novel pathogens -- including one normally associated with bumble bees.

I suspect the appearance of risky practices just that: an appearance.  Language is always tricky and ambiguous and scientists often write in a manner that can lead to misunderstanding on the part of readers.  Scientists are typically not great writers and it is not unusual for their prose to be sufficiently unexplained (CIFU*), ambiguous, or confusing that it is functionally meaningless.

I'm guessing that the chemicals were used according to label and at times when the supers were off the hives.  Dearths can occur at various times in different regions and different seasons.  Some locales have no honey flow in mid-summer and early fall.

>Temporal Analysis of the Honey Bee Microbiome Reveals Four Novel Viruses and Seasonal Prevalence of Known Viruses, Nosema, and Crithidia. Charles Runckel, et al. PLoS ONE www.plosone.org

Thanks, pete,  for giving us the the title word-for-word so the study was easy to find.  A reminder, though: writers are requested to provide *both title and URL* when posting comments about web-accessible material to BEE-L.

This is to encourage members to read the study before commenting.

When URLs are not provided, readers are reminded to select the title, right click and select "search" or copy and paste the title into a searchbar.  It is surprising how many of studies, or at least abstracts, can be found free on the web.

Reading the articles under examination before commenting assists us in achieving our elusive goal of "Informed Discussion".

* CIPU = Clear If Previously Understood