From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:09:10 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<The dictionary def. lists the word strain the same as  race.>>

I always understood a 'race' of bee to be the same  as a subspecies, and a
'strain' a identifiable line with identifiable  characteristics, normally within
a race, as hybrids don't breed true enough to  retain characteristics down
the generations. So I might have A.m.m, or near  A.m.m., which use more
propolis, or winter in smaller clusters, than someone  else's strain, but they'd both
be A.m.m. Maybe you see things differently in the  US.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK