From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:36:35 -0700

> >But now we've got some inspectors and some beekeepers  calling a few
> scattered
> bees in front of a hive a KILL.

Actually, I am talking about piles of dead bees!  We had unusual spring
weather, so that colonies built up quickly.  During our normal post fruit
bloom dearth, some devoured their stores and starved during clear, warm
weather, kicking a large pile of dead bees out front--looked just like a
major pesticide kill of half the colonies in the yard.

By the time I returned (about two weeks between checks) the surviving bees
in the hives had gathered nectar again, so unless one looked really closely
at the brood patterns, would have looked exactly like a pesticide kill.

I've never noticed anything like this before at that time of year, during
which the bees usually weather the two-week post fruit bloom dearth just
fine.  Only a couple of hives actually died--the rest were just set back.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA