From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:27:41 -0400
Barry Birkey wrote:
Or maybe it would allow someone to only have to treat
> with Apistan once a year instead of twice.  Too many variables for this
> beekeeper to say it's flawed.  Don't believe everything you hear.  This goes
> both ways.

Unfortunately, the more I look into evidence FGMO works I find
exactly the flaws Barry talks about. And because I do not believe
everything I hear I have asked and am trying to find evidence
that FGMO works. For example, the following was taken from David
Eyre's web site in my search for more facts on FGMO:

 quote- We are still feeding wintergreen as needed, but we have
now started with tobacco in the smoker and a thin line of FGMO on
the top bars every time we open the hive. Just out of interest,
the amount of tobacco in the smoker is quite small, about 1/2 oz.
-unquote

David says he gets good mite drop from FGMO. But he is using
tobacco smoke with the FGMO. Texas A&M and other researchers show
almost 100% mite drop from tobacco smoke, so any supposition that
FGMO is at work here is suspect at best.

There is no problem for experienced beekeepers like Barry and
David using FGMO as an adjunct. My problem is with new
beekeepers, like we all once were. I listened to the latest
tracheal mite control and used it over a winter. Menthol cough
drops. Remember that certain cure? FGMO has been presented as a
cheap and effective control of varroa. I looked at Dr. R's posts
way back when, and had I been starting beekeeping, probably would
have tried it since I, like most beekeepers want to keep
chemicals out of my beehive (I have an MS in Chemistry, by the
way). The information he posted was thorough and his tests were
done well. I only asked then, as I ask now, for someone else to
duplicate his results. No one has. In fact, the only tests I have
seen to date show it does not work.
Scientists err. That is why others have to verify their results.
Remember Cold Fusion? The whole world wanted to believe and money
was poured into it but it was not true. We want to believe more
than we want to doubt. Especially when the solution is cheap and
does no harm to the environment.
Let's not lead the beginner down the path to failure.
Bill T