From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:14:17 -0500
Thanks to Allen for pointing this out.  I would like to personally file an
objection, and will do so unless I fear that by doing so I will jepordize
Ross Rounds business.

Deknow's contributions are also important.  I would like to just a few notes
to reinforce his points:

1.  To others in the world, particularily Europeans, our patent office is a
joke.  To get a patent in Europe one has to make a convincing case that the
art is both novel and not obvious.  The European patent offices literaly try
to show that 'inventions' do not meet these criteria.  As a result, it is
very difficult to get a European patent overturned.  In the US, the patent
office seems to take the approach they will issue the patent unless someone
actively objects, with the result that patents are frequently overturned.
2.  No where in the world does a patent give a holder anything other than a
right to sue.
3.  Many Europeans choose to keep novel approaches as 'trade secrets',
rather than go the patent disclosure route.  AFAIK, more Americans are
taking the same approach.

Lloyd