From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:14:02 -0500
On another thread that Waggle guy writes:
...Penn State researchers have found that if bees have mites,
>their production of GOX decreases.   They suspect as mites build up, not
>as much GOX will be found in the honey and the honey has more bacteria.

Hello Mr Waggle & All,

If we look at what we know:

We know that glucose oxidase produced in the honeybee hypopharyngeal
gland, and is placed in the colonies honey and food as a bacteria
inhibitor.

We know that the size of the hypopharyngeal gland depends nutritional
content of the pollen eaten by the newly emerged workers.  Poor quality
pollen is known to cause the gland to develop smaller in size.

We know that varroa infestations can affect the nutritional health of the
colony in the quality and quantity of pollen collected, smaller pollen
loads were also observed on pollen foragers from varroa infested colonies.

I understand that Zachary Huang has done some research on factors that
affect hypopharyngeal gland activity.  I wonder if any of his research may
have been focused on varroa affects on hypopharyngeal gland activity?

Just a wild guess, but,,,
The effects of varroa on nutritional pollen foraging could intern cause a
smaller less efficient hypopharyngeal gland to develop, which might result
in less anti bacteria substances produced by the hypopharyngeal gland to
be placed in the colonies food, which could make possible a rise in
harmful bacteria found in stored food which when fed to larva may easily
infect the developing bee due to its weakened immune system by way of the
scars made by the feeding varroa, and varroa feces would only serve to
accelerate this bacterial growth, leaving all the factors in place to
cause DWV symptoms to appear.   Remember now, its just a wild guess.

Comments anyone?

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'