From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:11:33 -0500
Bill,
For a winter feed, my guess is that it would be ok for the south
but bad for the north mainly because of the starch. It is another
one of those solids that do not do the bee very much good over a
long winter with minimal voiding possibilities. Starch is one of
the strikes against confectioners sugar as a winter feed.
But if they can get rid of it, it seems it would do minimal harm.
The question I would have is if the bees are actually eating it
or getting rid of it.
Also, what about the cost of marshmallows compared to feeding
sugar syrup. It seems you are paying a lot more for minor
convienience. I'll stick with the white death - a term freely
describing either white sugar or white bread.
At the present time, bread is not recommended for winter feeding.
:)
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME