From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:20:01 -0500
Chris writes:
> Wow! That's horrifying and completely unsustainable. Are they trying to create a desert?

California IS mostly a desert, supplied by a monumental irrigation
system, which pipes water from as far away as the Rocky Mountains.
(see: www.biogeographer.com/F53.gif )

The fact that almonds do well in the Big Valley should be a tip off.
The climate is much like central Spain, which is second only to
California in almond production; followed by Syria, Italy, Iran, and
Morocco.

The need for honey bees to pollinate California almonds is currently
almost 1.5 million colonies. According to the Almond Board of
California, the number may top 2 million in four years. It is
estimated that beekeepers in California have 500,000 beehive colonies
to pollinate California's almond acreage. This means more than half of
the necessary bees must be brought from out of state.

California's Central Valley has a hot Mediterranean climate. It is hot
and dry during the summer and cool and damp in winter. Summer
temperatures reach into the mid to upper 90s°F (30s°C), and occasional
heat waves might bring temperatures well over 100°F (38°C), with some
locations topping out at around 115°F (46°C).

Winter and spring comprise the rainy season. The northern half of the
Central Valley (the Sacramento Valley) has more precipitation than the
dryer southern San Joaquin Valley. Annual precipitation totals 15
inches in parts of the Sacramento Valley and to less than 8 inches
over most of the San Joaquin Valley.

* * *
From the LA Times, July 13, 2007:

--