From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:33:51 -0800
Wouldn't a log hive or a skep be more to the bees liking? Or what about the cavity in the wall of your house?

  They seem to thrive in a space 14" wide by 3.5" deep by 8' tall. So, why not a hive like that? You could make it so that you could open it up and cut out what you want to harvest and then close it up again.

  But, before that we'd have to repeal all of the "Removeable Frame" Laws. So, chuck those ideas out the window.

  Dennis, what do you see as the bees needs? Didn't Dadant have a frame and coresponding super in which the frame was almost square and therefore gave the queen a vast area to lay in? Do you see any draw backs there?

  There you go, in your last sentence, putting your needs before the needs of the bees.

  Mark Berninghausen

"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

To date, I haven't found any bee equipment that was designed specifically to
meet the bees needs. .

Who after lifting tens of thousands of supers, has found top bar hives are a
much better solution for my needs.