Date:
Wed, 17 May 2017 09:45:23 -0400
a E.t. Ash wrote:a Bill T snip which is snipped by Bill

> hence the hobby BK has much more impact on other beekeepers than
> does the commercial beekeeper.
>
> >personally Bill I think your assumption here is pretty weak but if you
> have some data to back up this assumption of distribution and density I
> would enjoy seeing it.

Bee Informed stats on winter kill and the large numbers of hobby beekeeper
kills vs Commercial. So you have hobby hives croaking all over the
landscape at rates around 50% and commercial operators (much fewer)
isolated to small pockets with kills around 15%. For example, the nearest
commercial operator to me is a good hour away while in the same area there
are hundreds of hobby beekeepers. Just blocks from me there are at least 8
or more beekeepers some who are brand new and some who do not treat. Which
is why I now have to treat three times a year.

> As far as Varroa bombs being a "shield for why their research programs have
> not 'solved' the issue" the study of bees from dead hives showing up all
> around the neighbourhood seems to validate it but even more, Occam's razor
> also is at play. Hence it fits the facts so is a third alternative fact.
>
> > as I have recently suggested in a 'queen rearing class' here... bee
> hives were dying long before varroa arrived and no one should put on
> blinders and think varroa is the only reason hives now die.  one data point
> standing alone of a dead hive with no determination of cause means very
> little.

Who here on the list  "put on blinders" and stated that "varroa is the only
reason hives now die" ? Come on now. According to Scott Adams, I just won
the argument.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/160696999931/how-to-know-you-won-a-political-debate-on-the

But, I'll answer.. It is not  just one data point. It is a point in the
continuum that does clarify an answer to  a cause of colony collapse in the
fall from Varroa. Obviously not the only one but is a great data point,
even collectable, as data points go.

Aaron please forgive me for violating the BeeList rule number one. But
then, I tend to be excessive.

a snipped Bill Truesdell
Bath., Maine