From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 15:29:32 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Adam Finkelstein
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Smoke knocks out the chemical receptor sites on bee antenna. Yes,
>it overpowers the sensing ability

>Pheromones work in a specific concentration. Too much and a response isn't
>likely

Adam

From what you say there is a basic difference between a 'chemical' and a
'pheromone' and that (I guess) they are sensed by different receptors.
Can you indicate how they are different and how only a specific
concentration works ? I had just assumed a pheromone to be a type of
chemical. Is the concentration so small because it's diffusing in air
and the source distant so, say one molecule, is enough to trigger a
response in a special receptor site ? If so you couldn't disable a
pheromone response with smoke or anything else but you might handicap
the bees by diminishing their overall sensory abilty so they loose the
'confidence' to respond.

--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,