From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 22:08:31 +1000
> > They do make "stand-by" supercedure cells and when they need them from a
> sudden
> queen loss, the movement of eggs might be necessary or at least an
> option.  Otherwise
> why have the emergency cells in the first place?

Well they are not really emergency cells, rather just queen cell butts.
Emergency cells, also known as queenless cells are drawn from worker cells.
It is sometimes hard to tell, but careful examination will show the origin.

Why the bees construct butts is a moot point.  My view is that they are
constructed by a handful who are responding to some perceived need in their
local area of the hive.  Keep in mind not all bees in the hive are always
participating in hive duties.

I must say I have never found eggs in a butt in a queenless situation.  Not
saying bees can not transfer eggs or young larvae, only that I have never
observed it.

Oldroyd did some work on laying workers above the queen excluder. IIRC he
received one hive that had large numbers.  He had appealed for hives that
showed the trait.

Geoff Manning