Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:30:41 GMT
>>This concept has been tried before, the problem is beekeeping  is
totally another business.

A friend of mine from Yakima, Washington has about 30 acres of apple
trees on the side (he has a custom machine design & fab business
during the day).  He is trying to interest one of his children in
beekeeping as a hobby.  The hives would be used in the spring to
pollinate the apples.  This is sustainable agriculture with many
benefits.

>>When oil went to 70 dollars a barrel did we all go out and
buy drill rigs?

This would not be quite as cost-effective since one would also need a
refinery to process the oil... ;-)

>>One  grower that I know bought into a bee business as a partner...

Absolutely.  This sort of partnership is very sustainable and should
be beneficial to both sides.  It also takes advantage of local
resources which is always a plus for communities.

I am not suggesting that out of state beekeepers should not make an
income in CA almonds.  Out of state hives will always be needed to
satisfy the demand of the growing acerage.  However, developing and
using local resources has many benefits and should be encouraged.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY